Monday, October 30, 2006

The Father Chimes In

I believe we are now at 22 weeks. It is hard to believe Cheryl has been pregnant for that long already. The times has rushed past and I'm struggling to lay hold of it.

This baby is from God. This is a person who did not exist 23 weeks ago and now this person is stirring my wife's abdomen in an increasingly animated fashion. This person, whose diapers I will change, to whom I will sing songs, to whom I will read and with whom I will walk and grow on this earth, bears the image and the glory of God - and God has granted that this unworthy servant should be blessed with such a gift. Glory to God.

Yesterday, Cheryl and I were lying in bed and the baby was absolutely motoring around inside her. One side of her stomach would suddenly rise and fall, then the other side and sometimes it looked like a quick wave would pass from one side of her abdomen to the other. How I felt it! Tiny hands pushing and little feet stretching and a head pushing on Cheryl's bladder. I can't imagine what it must be like for a woman to experience another human being shuffling around on the inside of the body.

I look forward to meeting the little person.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Cheryl and Matthew,

Jim referred me to your blog and so now I read your posts once in a while. I just wanted to say that even though the situation has changed, I still wish you all the happiness and love in the world.

Love,
Eveline

Amy said...

It's weird. That's how it is. But great too!

Jen said...

I have a suggestion for reading, as if you needed more to read. The good thing is that this book is short and succinct and meaty: "The Privilege of Being a Woman" by Dr.Alice von Hildebrand, a Catholic philosopher along with her husband, Dietrich (now deceased). Perhaps you have heard of them?

Anyways, the reason why I mention this is that there are some beautiful passages on motherhood and the privilege for women to bear two souls in their bodies during pregnancy. It is also a wonderful illumination of the unique role of women, especially in contrast to modern expectations and standards. I hope you have an opportunity to pick it up, it is a beautiful book and very timely for the both of you.

You are in our prayers,

Jen

Anonymous said...

love the post...I remember the waves..bay going from side to side..this is such an exciting time..
you both are going to be such wonderful parents.
Emily

Anonymous said...

baby not bay...(silly typos)
em

Anonymous said...

As always, wonderful to hear about your experiences and the progress! What an amazing time for both of you. The ultrasound picture is so exciting...though I do want to see a 'pregnant mommy' pic soon!
Sorry I've been slack on emailing, but with holidays and then trying to catch up with everything...oh life!
All my love,
Rebecca

eremacausis said...

Matthew and Cheryl...

We just found your new blog. Congrats and Blessings! It is so great to read about your growing family...

Peace and Love,

Tyson and Carolina