Tuesday, February 13, 2007

37 weeks...with a cold!

Today I have exactly 3 weeks left my due date. At 37 weeks babies are considered "done" and are not considered premature if they are born at this point. People say to me: "So, any day now!"

I'm perfectly content for my baby to stay put for another few weeks...there are still some minor things to get ready, some work to wrap up, and I would really like my mother to be here for the birth! She arrives in Canada the day before my due date. I can hardly wait!

I saw my midwife on Friday and she ascertained that the head is 3/4 engaged, and that the baby is sitting in the best possible position--back angled outwards, face towards my spine.

I must say I'm feeling pretty big and heavy--nearly 40 lbs heavier than I was before I was pregnant... I can't imagine losing a huge chunk of that weight in the matter of a day when the baby's born. I'm sure I will feel strangely light.

In the meantime I'm trying to keep up with eating, drinking water, and getting enough sleep and a little exercise--all of which has been compromised these last few days by a bad cold. It seems to have entered my chest a little, which is no fun at all. Fortunately I'm not in the habit of taking medications when I'm sick even when I'm not pregnant, so I don't feel at a total loss to treat myself: Lots of fluids, lots of garlic, and sniffing some tea-tree oil vapours are all supposedly safe and good ways to treat a cold. My only worry is that this will weaken me a bit if I'm going to have the baby soon.

Please pray for me that I'll recover quickly and get my strength back well in time for labour!

5 comments:

elizabeth said...

may God heal you quickly and restore you to full strength! rest lots dear one!

Mimi said...

Whoohoooooooooooo! I am so excited!

Amy said...

I hope you do feel lighter after the baby is born, but be warmed it may not happen that way. I had so much water retention AFTER Owen was born that I left the hospital bigger than when I had come in (not heavier, mind you, just larger). So bring lots of clothes to teh hospital - in all sized - becasue you never know how big you'll be after baby comes out.

That said, you look GREAT!

Rhiannon Gascoigne said...

Hang in there Cheryl! At 36 1/2 weeks I got the worst flu of my life and lost all my fluids, but it actually helped me to eat better and get enough liquid and now i feel even better (though pretty heavy too!) Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

you are in my prayers!
*love from Halifax*
Emily